I have been working this problem (#OHV-435-27627) with Customer Service (Duane Broussard, Nick Bettencourt) for several months, and have been unable to find a solution.
I searched through the issue tracker, and
NAS-105336 sounds a bit similar, however I was unable to restart middlewared when I finally got to a BSD login.
The machine is a stock IXSystems Mini-XL with MB replaced under warranty in December; 8 3Tb WD Reds; latest available 11.2 at that time.
- There are no jails.
- 8 SMB shares that apparently work properly
- Rsync is running between this server, and an older iXSystems Mini that has successfully updated to 11.3-U3.2
While the documentation is in the ticket, I will summarize again here:
- After letting the new MB run for several days, attempted update to 11.3-Release by changing trains and proceeding
- 11.3-Release failed by the boot process hanging somewhere in the “middlewared” loads. Repeated 2-3 times for confirmation by changing boot environment back to 11.2 and running the train update again.
- Downloaded the 11.3-Release to a USB and performed manual upgrade install. Same result.
- Returned to 11.2, as the server was needed
- Upgraded to 11.2-U8
- At this point I contacted customer support and demonstrated the complete sequence to Mr. Broussard using ASRock Rack and console redirection.
- Later saved config and performed a fresh install from the USB that was successful.
- Restoring the saved config crashed or hung the boot in some unknown state.
- Back to 11.2-U8
- Thinking the SATA-DOM might be bad, changed the boot drive to a spare 72 GB SSD.
- Performed an 11.3-Release train update. Failed
- Since the server was apparently fully functional on 11.2-U8, I tried the 11.3 updates through 11.3-U3.2 as they became available. All had the same result.
- Mr. Bettencourt reviewed the config file and could find nothing out of order.
Observations – Train upgrade
- Boot hangs at “middlewared: setting up plugins (pwenc) [2/35]”
- If I wait several minutes it will go to a FreeBSD login prompt
- After login there are numerous middlewared errors and tracebacks
Over the holiday weekend I will repeat a fresh installation from USB and reload the config. I will send you those results next week.