After upgrading from FreeNAS 11.3 U5 the recycle bin functionality on SMB shares stopped working. Files and folders that were deleted were permanently deleted rather than being put in the recycle bin. Recycle bins that had content and had not been emptied prior to migration persisted but no new items were put into them.
These recycle bins were all working correctly before the upgrade.
Process to repair is:
- Add ACL to dataset to grant full control to root and propagate recursively
- Delete the existing SMB share
- Create a new SMB share and enable the 'Export Recycle Bin' setting
- Edit the share ACL to allow permission to your users otherwise when they delete files they will not be placed in the .recycle folder (this was not necessary on FreeNAS)
- Edit the dataset ACL agin if you wish users to be able to empty the recycle bin themself, otherwise, once deleted they will only have RO access to the contents of the recycle bin